Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Family Fun at The Scottish Sea Life Sanctuary

Guest post by Emma Gibb

As a mother to a one and a half year old boy, my self-catering holidays have changed somewhat.  Gone are the lazy afternoons in cafes, armed with a good book and endless cups of tea.  But I'll tell you a secret, I love that I now get to explore places that I might not have pre-motherhood.  I have shared my son's delight at penguin-watching at Edinburgh Zoo, I've pointed excitedly with him at polar bears at the Highland Wildlife Park and during our recent family holiday in Taynuilt, I'm not sure who was more excited by our visit to the Scottish Sea Life Sanctuary (ok, it was probably me - I do love otters).  

After our first family bike ride in beautiful and peaceful Glen Lonan, we had a quick bite to eat at the lovely Robin's Nest Tea Room in Taynuilt before heading to the Sea Life Sanctuary, nestled into Loch Creran just north of Benderloch.



The loch-side setting is truly idyllic and I found my gaze flitting between the seal pool and its backdrop of the sea loch; drinking in the views of the loch and the layers of hills huddled at its edge.  The loch is a highlight in its own right and there are plenty of places to soak up its beauty, from the bird-watching hide to the Shoreline Coffee Shop.  The Terry Nutkins Nature Trail is a wonderful way to take in the loch views, as well as an opportunity to search for local wildlife. 



There are three main sections to get up close with the sea-life: the seal pool, the otter enclosure (both outside) and the aquarium, home to everything from sea horses to sharks.  With feeding demonstrations and talks, an interactive rock pool and around 50 marine displays there is a lot for little eyes to take in.  My son had never had a 'sea-life experience' like this before and was entranced from the moment we walked in, particularly by the seals and otters.  (I have to say, the otters were the stars for me - they are utterly charming and never fail to make me smile).



I was particularly interested in learning more about their conservation work.  The Sanctuary rescues common and grey seals, as well as other marine animals, and releases them back into their natural environment.  You can visit the Marine Hospital to find out more about their rehabilitation programme.

The Scottish Sea Life Sanctuary is packed with things to entertain the whole family, inside and out.  As well as all the fascinating marine displays, children can burn off steam along the loch-side trail and in the woodland park.  With its peaceful setting and the loch spilling out around it, I have to say it was one of the best attractions that this little family has visited.


You can follow Emma on Twitter @emmajrgibb and read more about her family adventures around Scotland on her blog - www.emmaexploresscotland.wordpress.co.uk.

If you're look for a family-friendly base in Argyll, Airdeny chalet park has plenty of space for little ones to run around, with a host of great family activities, like the Oban Sea Life Sanctuary, nearby - take a look at our availability here.  

No comments: